HISTORY OF THE LFD

  • The City of Lynchburg has been served by organized fire departments since 1799

  • First department was called the Lynchburg Hose Company

  • Following the installation of alarm boxes in 1883, the Fire Department became a paid career organization.

  • In May of 1883, a major fire downtown destroyed an entire city block and caused the death of five firefighters.

  • When the department was formed in 1883, there were 35 employees that received $30.00 a month with only one day off per month.

  • Original fire stations were located at 512 Fifth Street, 6th and Commerce Streets, and Commerce Street between 11th and 12th streets.

  • Station 2 opened in Fall of 1883

  • The last piece of horse drawn apparatus was purchased in 1901

  • In 1905, Station 5 opened in Rivermont (Later renumbered as Station 4)

  • Department became motorized in 1914 with the purchase of new Engine 6

  • Transient Bureau fire in 1934 caused greatest loss of civilian life (22) in LFD history

  • Two work shift system was created in 1937 by Chief Lewis Rapp

  • Fire Prevention Bureau was created in 1944

  • Engine 7 was placed in service in 1947

  • Original affiliation with International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) was in 1951

  • Original Station 2 was replaced in 1957

  • New Station 3 was built at 4701 Fort Avenue in 1968

  • First African-American employee was hired September 20,1964

  • Marjorie McCraw, the first female employee was hired August 1966

  • New Station 5 opened on 4800 Boonsboro Road in 1971

  • Everett Stewart and Ronald Stevens were killed on February 25, 1975. At box alarm 317 on Main Street.

  • Assistant Chief Rank was replaced with the rank of Commander III.

  • On January 1, 1976, the City annexed 25 square miles of Bedford and Campbell counties, doubling the size of the City

  • Engines 8 and 9 were placed in service to meet the needs of Timberlake and Old Forest Road areas in 1976

  • The third work shift “C” was added in 1976 thereby changing the work schedule to the current 24 / 48 work shifts.

  • Battalion 2 was placed in service following the cities annexation

  • In the latter part of 1976, the LFD began providing EMS after the closure of Metropolitan Ambulance Company

  • Current stations 1, 7 and 8 opened in 1980

  • In 1982 Linda Eagle became the first female assigned to 24 hour work shift.

  • Fire Department Vehicle Maintenance Shop opened in 1983 

  • Lynchburg Communications Center (Lyn-Comm) was created in 1985 by combining the Fire & Police Dispatchers and implementing the City’s first 911 system.

  • New Station 4 opened in 1991 at 410 Birch Street.

  • In 1992, Ninette Heath became the first female company officer in the department

  • Engine 9 was taken out of service and Truck 2 placed in service in July 1996

  • Lynchburg Fire Department became an internationally accredited organization through the Commission on Fire Accreditation International in 2006

Created for the Lynchburg Fire Department Museum.  Proudly created with Wix.com